Thursday, February 14, 2013

Infertility-- Explained!

For all of you that keep saying "it will happen when the time is right" I hate to say, you're wrong! It won't happen in time. I have a luteal phase defect. This means that my luteal phase is not long enough to sustain endometrial lining and allow for implantation. This also includes low progesterone and demise of the corpus lutem. Most women on a 28 day cycle will ovulate around day 14. I ovulate on day 17, therefore shortening my L phase by at least 3 days. Now, this may not seem like a big deal. However several studies have shown that a short luteal phase will most always end in miscarriage.

How did I figure out I had lpd? For the past several months I have used ovulation prediction kits. I have determined that I routinely ovulate on day 17. The good news is, I am very predictable and consistent. A blood test can be done 7 days after ovulation to determine a lpd, but without the use of ovulation predictor kits (opks) I wouldn't know that I needed this test.

There is more good news! Lpd can be treated with progesterone supplements and it is possible I may need clomid. I never thought I would need "fertility treatments" but hey, that's okay! I feel good knowing what is wrong!! It is also a good feeling that it's fairly easy to treat. I'm hoping that progesterone will do the trick! I'm also glad that I decided to take charge of my fertility instead of just waiting & waiting & waiting. It's very possible that I will never conceive on my own. It's not certainly known if lpd caused my previous miscarriages or not. It is possible that after experiencing those, my cycle changed. 

Moral of this story: if you are struggling ttc then take charge of your fertility! Don't depend on a doctor to figure out what if anything may be wrong. Charting your cycle and ovulation is the easiest and best way to do this. Not all of us can be so lucky, and have a child so easily! I was told numerous times that I was perfectly fine.. Not that my dr didn't do her job, she had no way of knowing without my months of data. 

I'm sure you are all tired of hearing about my fertility issues :D but thanks for listening!

No comments: