Friday, January 11, 2013

Why do bad things happen to good people?

Im not sure how to start this blog post. I feel a calling to do some bible study about loss and tribulation. More importantly, I feel the calling to study the word that says how much God loves us.

As many of you know, I had 2 miscarriages. I don't want people to feel like I keep trying to bring that up.. That is not my intent. I just kept feeling that those events would lead me to help others in some way. (this is applicable for any type of loss or heartbreak)

I hope that his post may find someone who is hurting or needing to rejuvenate their spirit.

Sometimes when bad things happen to us or people we know, our first thoughts are: Why God? Why me? I love you, I believe in you? Why, why why? I think this reaction is perfectly normal. I mean after all doesn't God love us? Why would he let something bad happen to us? We do the do's and don't the don'ts, we are Christians- so why?

When I experienced my first miscarriage everyone told me "It's God's will", "God knew what he was doing" "God wont give you anything you cant handle." Well, honestly- I don't believe it is God's will to take the life of a child or anyone for that matter. God loves us, we are his children.

Why do bad things happen to good people?

Jeremiah 29:14 really jumped off the page for me- "I will be found by you." Declares the Lord, and I will bring you back from captivity. John 10:10 says- the enemy will try to come into your life and steal, kill and destroy. I believe he will test you and push you- he wants to capture you. Satan seeks to destroy you.. But if you seek the Lord, He will bring you back. If we seek Him, He WILL find us. I began to think back... I was mad at God. I didn't understand. Why? Why, God, why? I found myself turning away from God, after all, this was His will... right?? Wrong! I was doing exactly what the enemy wanted! I was mad at God. But lucky for me, God understands! He loves me, desires me and seeks my heart even when I'm mad. When I sought Him, and He brought me back from captivity. I was in a pretty dark place in my life. I went on a ladies retreat with my church and it was just what I needed! Wow, when I began to seek God, my heart began to soften. My eyes began to see. (you know, all that STUFF) :D

Jeremiah 29:11: "For I know the plans I have for you" declares the Lord, "I have plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Scripture tells us that the Lord is not out to harm us. He wants us to have hope and a future. That my friends, is powerful! 

We must remember that God never promised us a life free from trials and tribulations.  John 16:33 says... in this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world. He promised us his love and everlasting life. James 1:12 tells us- Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.

I guess the bottom line is- bad things will happen to good people. Our hearts will be ripped open, stomped on and broken. But that is NOT God's desire for us. When we find ourselves in a time of being mad and doubting God, we must make the choice to seek Him! This is so much easier said than done! If you find yourself in a place where you at mad at God, remember He still loves, seeks and desires you. He wants to know our hearts. My Pastor is helping us learn how to know His heart. I think this will be an awesome personal journey for myself.

Those are my thoughts for the evening. Any comments you have are certainly welcome. I am no expert, these are simply my thoughts!

1 comment:

RVnutz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.